Monday, April 16, 2012

Gaming

I used to be a pretty big-time gamer. All you have to do is go look at my early posts on this blog to see me nerding-out over my Warhammer 40k models, posting reports on the battles I played at the friendly local games store. I haven't worked on a 40k model in, gosh, probably two whole years. I've been thinking I might start a few, just to pass the time, and because I have an affinity for things that are real and tangible.

I've lost most of my interest in console and computer games. I played a few levels of Halo with Frog last week, and while it was still fun, it just seemed like a waste. Sure, maybe a new game would be exciting for a while, but I also don't want to get caught up in gaming all the time like some Mountain-Dew addled teenager. I played Starcraft II for several hours this weekend; that was pretty fun. However, I've gotten myself to the final level of the campaign and it is hard. Hell, even just playing against a computer opponent in a custom game is pretty rough on any difficulty but easy. I used to play Warcraft 3 online with my buddy Dustin, Sergeant in the Air Force. We would even play in team tournaments and stuff every weekend or so...fun times!

Of course, Dustin is married with a new child recently arrived (Congrats, buddy!). Maybe less gaming is a functioning of growing up and maturing? Naw, I don't think so. Maybe just shifting interests? I think it is intriguing how in less than the past five years, women have suddenly become the majority of gamers...rocking all kinds of games on their phones, i-Pads, etc. That is pretty cool...if I had such a digital device, I would most likely be playing those kinds of games a lot. Back in the day I got a PDA when I started going part-time the community college (this was, like, 12 years ago now), and I actually wore it out over about 8 months of playing its couple of card games constantly.

I prefer games that get played in person, even if it is just something like Poker. Of course, I can always dream that I'll either make some friends who are way into Warhammer 40k, or convert some of my existing friends "to the hobby". Actually, what is more likely is that I will find some new hobby that involves finely crafting tiny pieces of metal...

No comments:

Post a Comment