Thursday, April 12, 2012

The Internet

I personally think that the internet is pretty fantastical and ridiculous. Instantaneous (almost) transmission of data all over the world? There are whole economies that exist only in cyberspace? Last night in one of my classes the entire chapter was about hacking and other malicious goings-on online. Then there are internet memes? Yes, there are...look at my vacbot posts. They fit this definition:

meme |mēm|
noun Biology
an element of a culture or system of behavior that may be considered to be passed from one individual to another by nongenetic means, esp. imitation.
DERIVATIVES
memetic |mēˈmetik; mə-| adjective
ORIGIN 1970s: from Greek mimēma ‘that which is imitated,’ on the pattern of gene.

I saw "I can has cheezburger" years ago, looked at lots of silly internet pictures, and recently made my own. So the internet has infected my body like a genetic disease? "I've gone mimetic!"

Like I said, fantastical and ridiculous!

No comments:

Post a Comment